Friday, August 13, 2010

The Thirteenth Tale

What I Read: The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield. 408 pages. Anchor Canada, 2007.

Rating: 5/5!


Happy coincidence! I finished Diane Setterfield's stunning book, The Thirteenth Tale, this weekend, on Friday the thirteenth. How mysterious: the first of three verrry mysterrrious things to be found in this blog post.

The second mysterious thing is this: how, with less time to read and more pages to get read, did I manage to devour The Thirteenth Tale so must faster than Red China Blues, you may ask? Well, you should have seen me! And in fact if you're reading this you probably did. Quickly and at every opportune moment (and at a lot of very inopportune moments, as is my very bad habit), the pages slipped by and the weight of paper in my right hand became less and less. The story grabs you, makes you read on, constantly engaging your mind and making the clogs of your brain turn wildly, trying to solve the mystery of the novel.

That mystery is the third verrry mysterrrious thing. There is so much to uncover and piece together in this twisting novel of twins, bookstores, creaking old houses, and the foggy, melancholy Yorkshire moors. I could go on and on and on about this book: suffice it to say that I loved it, and felt completely at home in it. And I now have a fierce desire to book a ticket to England and go roaming about the moors with an old copy of Jane Eyre! Read this book and let's talk books and ghost stories!

Happy reading, and have a great day!

Erin

1 comment:

  1. I love this post and can't wait till you review another book :) Although perhaps you meant "cogs" instead of "clogs"? Perhaps not, you are much better at English than I...regardless, you are a fantastic writer.

    ReplyDelete